The City of Harrisonburg is allocating $900,000 for eligible nonprofit organizations affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. This allocation is part of the federal funding made available to the city through the Commonwealth of Virginia from the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act.
The City will accept funding requests through this application for:
- Service Interruption: This program will provide funds to organizations that can demonstrate they have had to interrupt their services due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Service Expansion Program: This program will provide funds to organizations that demonstrate they have significantly expanded their services due to COVID-19 pandemic.
Contact Amy Snider, Assistant to the City Manager, with any application questions at [email protected].
These funds will be available to nonprofit organizations who meet this criteria:
- Are in good standing with the Virginia State Corporation Commission
- Can provide proof of nonprofit status
- Can provide a copy of its most recent IRS Form 990, Form 990-EZ, or 990-an
- Can demonstrate their services have been affected by COVID-19
- Can demonstrate that they serve Harrisonburg residents, even if headquarters is not located in Harrisonburg
Organizations may apply for funding in two categories: service interruption and/or new/expanded services. Organizations may request up to a maximum of $50,000, which may consist for example of $10,000 for service interruption and $40,000 for new/expanded services.
This funding can only be used to cover costs incurred between March 1, 2020 and December 30, 2020. Revenue replacement is not a permissible use of funds. Revenue includes service fees, contributions, fundraising, investment returns or other sources of income that are part of the organiztion’s budget. The CARES Act coronavirus relief funding must be expended by December 30, 2020 and any unused funds must be returned to the City.
It is anticipated that funding awards will be announced on or about November 2, 2020. Upon award, organizations will be required to sign a certification or agreement regarding the organization’s understanding of the appropriate use of funds as it relates to spending requirements of the CARES Act coronavirus relief funds.
Deadline for applications is Monday, October 26 at 1:00PM. CLICK HERE for the application.