The Community Foundation of Harrisonburg and Rockingham County (TCFHR) provides exceptional donor services, charitable fund and scholarship management, and bold initiatives to benefit our community.
TCFHR has flourished through the generosity of countless individuals, families, and businesses who have shared their time, expertise, and financial resources in support of our mission throughout the past twenty years. By working together, the Foundation has earned a reputation for its flexibility, dedication, and trustworthiness. We are known for providing knowledgeable, innovative, and collaborative solutions for the benefit of fund holders and our community.
Donors’ charitable interests are varied; some are very specific while others simply want to give back to the place they call home. Based on dreams of donors, the Community Foundation establishes and manages short and long-term funds, ranging from simple to complex, to achieve aspirations in an easy, cost effective, and efficient manner.
Reports to: Executive Director
The Development Officer primarily manages existing Fund holder relationships, providing exceptional service and ensuring their long-term collaboration with the Foundation, develops relationships with new potential Fund holders and develops unrestricted gifts and sponsorship gifts to support the programs of the Foundation. This position provides the highest quality service to current donors, nonprofit organizations, donor prospects and professional advisor community.
- Work with the Executive Director and the Community Engagement Committee, to plan, create, oversee, and implement a comprehensive multi-year asset development plan to secure endowed and non-endowed gifts.
- Provide active leadership and participation in the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors and fund creators for the Foundation and its programs/initiatives.
- Establish relationships with professional advisors and local businesses to secure major gifts, planned gifts and sponsorships.
- Support the Community Engagement Committee in planning, preparing and disseminating committee agendas, minutes, reports and all materials.
- Initiate and manage planned giving society.
- Manage communications of up-to-date knowledge of philanthropic trends and legislation that impact donors, fund holders and professional advisors.
- Develop strategies for measuring progress and asset development success.
- Attend community events on behalf of the Foundation and participate in/make presentations at meetings of appropriate civic, professional, business and community organizations.
- Utilize and maintain development database
- Maintain confidentiality as defined in TCFHR policies
- Ensure compliance with IRS and Council on Foundations National Standards.
- Adhere to Employee Policies
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
Education and Experience
- Minimum of 3 – 5 years’ experience in fund development
- Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated knowledge of how to build a major donor pipeline and implement best practices of donor stewardship.
- Comfort working in a fast-paced, flexible, collegial and goal-oriented environment.
- Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills to work effectively with Community Foundation staff, Board, donors, professional advisors, volunteers and nonprofits.
- Must possess strong organizational skills with the ability to work independently, set priorities, schedule and produce work in a timely manner.
- Highly organized and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated commitment to philanthropy and community service
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Mail Chimp, Publisher and specialized database
- Willingness to work occasional evening and weekend events
- Existing knowledge of the local community and philanthropic landscape a plus
This position is full-time but works within a flexible environment. This position description is intended to be general and is subject to periodic updating. The Community Foundation seeks to establish and maintain diversity among its staff and thereby is inclusive in its employment practices.
Send a cover letter, references and resume to: Revlan Hill via email at [email protected]
In the cover letter, please describe your related work experience and indicate your salary requirements. This position will be open until filled.
TCFHR has $60 million in assets and manages around 300 charitable funds. In 2019-20, TCFHR received $5.8 million in donations and it awarded $4.8 million in grants, including approximately $500,000 for the COVID-19 Community Response Fund in partnership with the United Way. To learn more about TCFHR, please visit www.tcfhr.org.